Thursday, May 17, 2018

What Order Should The Northwest Novels Be Read In?

Hi guys, 

I purchased all five of the Northwest novels from the Google Play store, but I don't know what order they are meant to be read in, or even if there is a proper order. Could you enlighten me?

Erik


Okay, I could have sworn I had a "canned answer" to this FAQ lying around on my hard drive somewhere, but I can't find the damned thing, so I guess I get to re-type it. Mutter, mutter, mutter like Popeye, a reference almost none of you will get ...

There are two ways to read the Northwest novels: in the order in which they were written, or in what might be called mythos order.

The novels were written in the following order:

The Hill of the Ravens - (2003)
A Distant Thunder - (2004)
A Mighty Fortress - (2005)
The Brigade - (2008)
Freedom's Sons - (2012)

I personally think the best order to read them in for coherency and flow is mythos order:

The Brigade
A Distant Thunder
A Mighty Fortress
Freedom's Sons
The Hill of the Ravens

However, each novel can stand alone, and none of this is chiseled in stone. Most people end up reading the books in different orders than this depending on how they acquire the books. However you choose to read them, Erik, enjoy!

-HAC

No comments: